LSI/IH Portsmouth’s OET for Nurses and Doctors Preparation Courses
Do you need to achieve a Grade B in the OET exam for Nurses and Doctors as quickly as possible? If so, LSI/IH Portsmouth’s OET courses for Nurses and Doctors are for you. We offer flexible courses to suit your schedule:
LSI/IH Portsmouth is an official OET Premium Preparation Provider, one of only a few in the UK. This means that the OET preparation courses run by LSI/IH Portsmouth have the highest possible standard and are among the best in the country.
What is an OET Preparation Course?
LSI/IH Portsmouth offers both full-time and part-time OET courses for Nurses and Doctors. These courses include face-to-face or online tuition with experienced and highly-qualified teachers, as well as access to self-study facilities, and daily homework. Our courses have been fully-endorsed by the OET group, so they are guaranteed to provide high-level preparation.
The OET Exam consists of four sub-tests: Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking. Our courses focus on the skills required for each part of the exam. You will have specialised input in each area of the exam, along with feedback on your progress from your teachers, a range of practice activities, and access to self-study material.
Choose the OET exam preparation course for you
At LSI/IH Portsmouth, we offer range of OET preparation courses to suit your personal circumstances.
|Course||One-week Intensive OET Preparation Course||Part-time OET Preparation Course (6 weeks)||Flexible OET Course|
|When are the classes?||Monday to Friday 09:00 – 11:45 /
13:00 – 15:45
|Tuesday and Thursday, 13:30 – 15:30 UK time||You can start any time! You can also add additional one-to-one classes to either our full-time or part-time courses|
|How long does the course take?||1 week (see fixed start dates below)||6 weeks (see fixed start dates below)||It’s up to you! (minimum 5 hours)|
|How many hours of class time do I get?||Total 25 hours (25 x 60 minutes)||Total 24 hours (24 x 60 minutes)||You choose!|
|What level do I need?||Minimum B2/IELTS 6.0 overall/OET Grade C||Minimum B2/IELTS 6.0 overall/OET Grade C||Any level|
|How much does it cost?||2022 fee £400||2022 fee £360||One-to-one: £40 per hour
Group of 2/3: £50 per hour
Groups 4-14: £100 per hour OR £2,400 for one week intensive (25 hours)
|When can I start?||See course dates below||See course dates below||You choose!|
|Face to face or online?||Both available||Online only||Both available|
Contact OET@lsi-portsmouth.co.uk for more information.
LSI/IH Portsmouth OET Course Dates for 2022:
Full-time OET Preparation Course Dates 2022
Each full-time course takes place in the week before an OET exam at LSI/IH Portsmouth, so that you can study from Monday to Friday, and then take your OET exam at our OET test centre on the Saturday or Sunday directly after the course. However, you can also do the course with a gap before your exam, so that you have more time to do self-study, or take extra 1-1 lessons before the test if you need to.
|OET Full-time Course: £400|
|Course Start Date||Course Finish Date|
|Monday 31st January 2022||Friday 4th February 2022|
|Monday 28th February 2022||Friday 4th March 2022|
|Monday 4th April 2022||Friday 8th April 2022|
|Monday 9th May 2022||Friday 13th May 2022|
|Monday 6th June 2022||Friday 10th June 2022|
|Monday 4th July 2022||Friday 8th July 2022|
|Monday 1st August 2022||Friday 5th August 2022|
|Monday 5th September 2022||Friday 9th September 2022|
|Monday 3rd October 2022||Friday7th October 2022|
|Monday 31st October 2022||Friday 4th November 2022|
|Monday 28th November 2022||Friday 2nd December 2022|
What you will get on the OET Nursing Preparation Courses for Nurses and Doctors:
- Focus on all four skills required for the OET exam, as well as grammar and vocabulary for the test
- Learn a range of useful exam techniques for each part of the exam
- Be given individual and detailed feedback on your areas of strength and areas to develop
- Be given all the materials that you need on the course (these are included in the course fees)
- Do a mock speaking test in exam conditions and receive tips and advice about how to improve your performance in the speaking test
- Receive detailed feedback and correction on your written work
- Have daily homework to help you get the most from the course
- Have access to supplementary materials in our Study Centre to help you progress quickly
What is the Occupational English Test?
The OET (Occupational English Test) is an English language test for healthcare professionals.
OET assesses the language and communication skills of healthcare professionals who would like to register and practise in an English-speaking environment. The OET exam assesses all four language skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking) with an emphasis on communication in a healthcare environment.
OET is trusted by regulators, hospitals and universities in the UK, Ireland, the US, Australia, New Zealand, Dubai, Singapore, Canada and many other countries. OET has been developed specifically for 12 healthcare professions.
The four language skills
The Reading sub-test for OET consists of three parts. There are 42 questions, and you have 60 minutes to complete all three parts. Part A consists of four short texts on a single healthcare topic, and you have to locate specific information in the texts as quickly as possible. In Part B of the OET reading sub-test you have to identify the detail, gist and purpose of six short texts that you might find in a healthcare workplace. In Part C you have to answer questions about two longer texts on a topic of interest to healthcare workers (for example, an article about medical research).
The OET writing sub-test consists of one writing task. You have to write a letter in a workplace context (for example, a referral letter to a care home), based on case notes. The OET writing lasts for 45 minutes in total. You have 5 minutes to read the case notes, and then 40 minutes to write your letter.
Like the reading, the OET listening sub-test has 3 parts, and a total of 42 questions. You will hear each recording once. The test takes 45 minutes in total. In part A of OET listening, you have to listen to two patient-healthcare professional consultations, and complete notes about the conversations. In part B, you listen to six one-minute extracts from healthcare workplace situations, and answer multiple-choice questions. In part C of OET listening, you listen to extracts from two presentations or interviews on a range of healthcare topics, and then answer six multiple-choice questions for each extract.
In the OET speaking sub-test, the candidate takes part in two five-minute role plays. The role plays are profession-specific, so if you are taking the OET nursing exam, for example, each role play will be between a nurse and a patient, client or carer. You have 3 minutes to prepare each role play from a role card, and then the role play lasts for five minutes. You will undertake the role play with a trained interlocutor, who will play the other role. In the OET speaking sub-test you are assessed on both your linguistic ability (such as your grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation), and your communicative ability (such as your ability to listen, empathise with the patient, and so on).
Why take our OET preparation course in the UK at LSI/IH Portsmouth?
1) LSI/IH Portsmouth is an official OET test centre. This means that LSI/IH Portsmouth has been approved by OET as an exam centre, and you can take your OET exam with us at the end of your course. All our OET courses are directly followed by an OET exam date on the Saturday or Sunday at the end of the course, so you can do your course and exam in one week.
2) LSI/IH Portsmouth is the joint number one ranked school in the UK for teaching, according to the British Council inspection reports, as published in the EL Gazette in 2018.
3) LSI/IH Portsmouth is an official OET Premium Preparation Provider, one of only a handful of schools in the UK to achieve this benchmark of quality in teaching and course design. According to the OET, Premium Providers “have demonstrated high levels of quality in material creation and curriculum planning”, and have been endorsed by OET to offer OET courses.
4) All OET teachers at LSI/IH Portsmouth are fully-trained and highly-experienced.
5) LSI/IH Portsmouth has an excellent track record of success in preparing students for examinations. We have been an IELTS test centre since 2003 and have successfully prepared students for a range of exams, including IELTS, Cambridge, BEC and BULATS over the last 25 years.
To find out more about the test day at LSI/IH Portsmouth, please Click here.
If you have any questions or want to know any more about our OET courses, please e-mail us: OET@lsi-portsmouth.co.uk
Or call 02392291811 between 9:00am and 4:30pm Monday to Friday (except public holidays).
We will get back to you as soon as possible.