EFL Teachers Wanted
LSI/IH Portsmouth, the joint-top language school in the UK, is looking for talented teachers to join our supportive and successful teaching team.
We offer training, good professional development opportunities, and a friendly and dynamic teaching environment.
Job Title: English language teacher
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Paid hours per week: Approximately 10 – 22.5
Qualifications required: Degree + Trinity Cert TESOL / CELTA + 2 years’ experience
Courses to be taught: General, Business, Exam, Pre-Sessional English
Objective: To deliver interesting, engaging and effective lessons that enable international adult learners to make progress with their English and achieve their language goals
Main duties: Plan, prepare and deliver online, hybrid and face to face lessons to multinational groups at a range of levels from beginner to advanced. Depending on qualifications and experience this could include lessons in General English, business English, exam preparation courses such as IELTS and CAE and Pre-Sessional English. Complete online administrative records including attendance registers and records of work done. Create a positive and motivating learning environment.
Who we are looking for:
Successful candidates will have native-like competence in English. They will have strong classroom management skills and the ability to deliver well-planned and creative lessons that engage students and move them forwards with their learning. They will have an outgoing personality with an ability to communicate and get on with people from different cultures and environments. They will be computer literate and comfortable with delivering lessons both face to face and online. They will have strong time management and organisational skills.
Applicants wishing to teach exam classes will have a thorough knowledge of the IELTS exam and Cambridge suite of exams and will understand what is required to enable students to achieve specific target levels.
Applicants wishing to teach Pre-Sessional will need a DELTA or Masters in Applied Linguistics and TESOL. They will be familiar with the culture and conventions of British universities and will understand what is required of international students to be successful in this environment.
While we are happy to consider applicants who prefer to teach within only one or two areas of the school, we will prioritise applications from candidates who have the knowledge and experience to teach across the different departments.
What we can offer
- A school with a long history and strong reputation for offering quality English language training (See our latest British Council Inspection report here)
- The opportunity to become part of a school which is growing and ready to capitalise on the increased demand in language training predicted for 2022
- Passion and integrity
- Paid induction for all new staff
- Thorough training for teachers taking on IELTS, Cambridge, OET, Pre-Sessional or business courses
- A large library of learning resources and a range of instructive menus to ensure that you always have good quality teaching material
- Opportunities to expand and develop your skills in new teaching areas such as business, Pre-Sessional, OET and IELTS
- A supportive, professional and friendly teaching team
- Strong levels of support from academic management
- A well-equipped staff room with computers, printers, photocopiers and a relaxing communal sofa area with free tea and coffee
- Regular teaching workshops led by colleagues or other teachers within the International House group
- Well-equipped classrooms with smartboards and hybrid technology
- Opportunities to move within the International House network if you wish to work abroad in the future
- Approximately 10 -22.5 hours of teaching per week depending on your availability and levels of demand within the school
- The possibility of a year-round agreement with guaranteed monthly minimums in 2022
- Hourly pay rates of £18 – £21 per hour
To apply – please send covering email and CV to:
Lea Brophy, Principal@