LSI/IH Portsmouth: English Language Specialists since 1985
LSI/IH Portsmouth is a friendly, large, year-round English language school for motivated adults aged 18 and over. We offer a wide range of courses to suit many abilities, different needs and ambitions. We work hard to create and deliver the very best English Language courses. As a result, we are proud to say that we have been recognised by the EL Gazette, who have ranked us as joint number 1 best English Language school in the UK!
What English Language Courses does LSI/IH Portsmouth offer?
- General English Courses
This course teaches English for a variety of different situations. It offers the most flexibility when it comes to direction of learning as it covers all topics and skills (speaking, listening, reading, writing). On this course, you learn essential English for everyday general communication. To find out more about our General English Courses, click here.
- 30+ Courses
30+ is similar to General English, but it is aimed at more mature students 30 years old and over. This language course teaches students all the skills of everyday English in an interactive and enjoyable way. Our 30+ students have access to our executive centre and classes are in small groups of maximum 8. To find out more about our 30+ Courses click here.
- Executive English Courses
Executive English courses are designed for professionals who need to upgrade their language skills in the context of a business or professional environment. Executive English Courses offer several flexible options and are tailored to the needs of the client. To find out more about our Executive English Courses, click here.
- Cambridge Exams Preparation Courses
Cambridge exam courses include B2 First for Schools, C1 Advanced, C2 proficiency. These courses are designed to prepare students to take those exams. The courses build and practice targeted formal skills such as writing for exams, listening for gist, reaching agreement in a spoken discussion. To find out more about our Cambridge Exam Preparation Courses, click here.
- IELTS Exam Preparation Courses
IELTS is perhaps the most popular exam in the world. IELTS preparation courses are therefore essential for students who wish to pass this exam with a high score. A good course will teach students the tactics and language skills needed to get the IELTS grade that they want. To find out more about our IELTS Exam Preparation Courses, click here.
- OET Exam Preparation Courses
The Occupational English Test, is a test for healthcare specialists who need to prove their level of English. Our Exam preparation course is designed to help OET candidates to pass this test. The course teaches OET exam skills such as writing referral letters or letters of discharge. To find out more about our OET Exam Preparation Courses, click here.
- University Preparation Courses
Pre-Sessional Courses aim to teach students the necessary skills for taking a University degree. A good University preparation course will improve the students’ level of English, understanding of what to expect on a university course, and university study skills such as essay writing and citations. To find out more about our University Preparation Courses, click here.
- Specialist English
Specialist English courses are aimed at Business professionals who have a specific requirement for their language learning such as English for the Pharmaceutical Industry or English for Engineering. These courses are offered on a one-to-one or small group basis. To find out more about our Specialist English Courses, click here.
- Teacher Training Courses
LSI/IH Portsmouth offers courses designed to improve teachers’ confidence and present new skills to use in their classroom. These courses focus on discussing current methodologies, and increasing the ability to plan, teach and assess students’ progress. To find out more about our Teacher Training Courses, click here.
- We’re flexible!
LSI/IH Portsmouth offers the same teaching quality through online lessons. for students who prefer to stay in their home country.
As well as a range of courses and 1:1 options, we can give you the advice you need to choose the right course for you. For more information on the various successful courses here at LSI/IH Portsmouth, contact us!
Did you know?
✅ Our maximum class size of 12 is smaller than the UK Average – 14 or even 16 students.
✅ Our courses are more intensive (22.5 hours per week) than most UK schools.
Our mission is to be the best English language school we can be and to give you, our students, the best experience you can have in every aspect of your stay whilst here at LSI/IH Portsmouth. We strive to be the best in all we do. We want you to have fun, be happy and most of all enjoy learning English!
Why do students choose courses at LSI/IH Portsmouth?
Every year hundreds of students from all around the world come to LSI/IH Portsmouth to study English. Some come for just a couple of weeks, some stay for months. They all have one thing in common: they want to improve their English at a school where they feel comfortable and supported.
- Academic Excellence and Exam Preparation:
LSI/IH Portsmouth provides a team of qualified and dedicated language teaching specialists. This was recently recognised by the British Council who concluded after their inspection of our site that we had performed excellently in all areas and awarded us the position of joint number 1 school in the UK.
Our Academic Director of Studies has written 2 books on IELTS Preparation, designed the course that students study on, trains and observes the teachers in order to maintain the highest standard. In addition, LSI/IH Portsmouth is a test centre for IELTS, Cambridge and OET. This means that students who study with us can also go on to do their tests with us, an environment which they are comfortable and familiar with (taking some of the stress out of test day).
- Executive Centre:
We have a separate Executive Training Centre. This centre offers:
- A team of highly-experienced and qualified teachers who specialise in the instruction of Business English to professionals.
- A beautiful newly-furbished high-spec separate executive lounge, with balcony access and sea views, for students to relax in comfort between classes.
- Classrooms equipped with Interactive Whiteboards or smart TVs.
- A variety of course types and tailored course content to meet the individual tailored needs of students. To find out more about the tailored course possibilities, click here.
- Over 30 years’ experience working with international clients such as: Siemens, Bayer, and Renault.
- Quality Accommodation:
We offer a variety of different accommodation to suit all needs. Do you want to stay with a host family? Are you more interested in living with other LSI/IH Portsmouth students?
LSI/IH Portsmouth offers:
Or do you want some help finding your own accommodation? We are here to help!
- Fantastic Facilities:
- Our 8-floor school holds 55 comfortable classrooms our classrooms can comfortably seat a max group size of 12 (the average group size is 8). Most of the rooms are equipped with modern Interactive Whiteboards.
- We have two student lounges, both equipped with tea and coffee facilities. The 2nd floor lounge comes with a pool table, ping-pong table, widescreen TVs, piano, and social area for students to meet friends have lunch or coffee and a chat. The 5th floor executive student lounge extends onto a balcony.
- The school has fast, free, and reliable Wi-Fi throughout the building.
- Students can use the computers or borrow a range of resources from the Study Centre. Our Study Centre Supervisors can help with homework, conduct practice speaking exam sessions, and assist with writing techniques.
- LSI/IH Portsmouth is located in the in the heart of the university district. There are plently of local restaurants, bars, pubs, and cafés surrounding the school – making it an ideal location for practicing your English outside the classroom!
- Job Club:
Job club is a free optional group, which meets once a week on a Friday after class. Students are broken into small groups so that the job club supervisors can focus on their individual needs.
What are the aims of Job Club?
- To update students on jobs they can apply for in the city or when they return home
- To help and support students with any individual work-related issues
What happens in Job Club?
A variety of skills and language are taught and practiced. For example:
- Improving CV/Résumé writing
- How to write a good job application cover letter
- The language of interviews and interview practice/coaching
The main purpose of Job Club is that it is to help with and offer guidance to students who are looking to find a job in an English-speaking environment. it is also a great way for students to build their confidence when using English in a more formal environment.
- Full and Varied Social Programme:
At LSI/IH Portsmouth, we have a dedicated social programme organiser who is responsible for:
- Creating a fun, varied and interesting social programme that all our students can enjoy.
- She also helps students book tickets, find places of interest, and let them know what’s going on around the local area.
Elements of the social programme change depending on what activities are happening around the city. When the weather is hot and sunny you can expect to see barbeques on the beach, or outside volleyball tournaments. However, nearer Christmas time you will be invited to the Dickensian Christmas Festival or ice skating.
- University of Portsmouth:
LSI/IH Portsmouth students who want to study at the University of Portsmouth, can progress directly onto the UoP programmes from our Pre-Sessional courses. LSI/IH Portsmouth students can also use the university facilities which include:
- Access to the UoP Library
- The UoP Gym
- The UoP Student Union
An early morning street view of LSI/IH Portsmouth
Can’t find what you’re looking for?
If you have any questions or want to know any more about our courses, please e-mail us: email@example.com
Or call 02392291811 between 9:00am and 4:30pm Monday to Friday (except public holidays).
We will get back to you as soon as possible.
A few photos from in and around LSI/IH Portsmouth
View from the roof of LSI/IH Portsmouth
The island city of Portsmouth
Portsmouth is a great city for students and we are in the heart of the university area, with lots of cafes, shops, theatres, pubs, live music venues, and restaurants full of British and overseas students. Our students can join the University of Portsmouth’s union sports clubs and societies, which is a great way to make British friends and really get a taste of UK student life.
Portsmouth is a seaside city with miles of beaches. You can even see the sea and the Isle of Wight from many of our classrooms on the higher floors. We’re also well-situated to visit London, which is just 90 minutes away by train. Brighton, Bournemouth, Stonehenge, The New Forest and Eastbourne are all easy day trips from here too.
Want to know more about what to do in Portsmouth?
We have our very own social programme organiser, who organises an awesome and full social programme, filled with interesting things to do around Portsmouth. At weekends, we take excursions to other great places such as… Stonehenge, London, Oxford. This is a great way to make friends with people who are interested in doing the same things as you… and practice your English by socialising. To find out more about our excellent social programme and how you can improve your English by socializing and meeting others click here.