I want to study at a university in the UK

There are lots of things to think about if you want to study at a university in the UK…

  • Your level of English

    Most undergraduate courses require a minimum of a level 5.5 IELTS score for an international student (you should check what score is required before applying). If you don’t already have this score you might want to study an IELTS preparation course at LSI/IH Portsmouth or go on a Pre-Sessional course which will also prepare you for the types of essays and presentations you might have to do at university.

  • Do you need a visa to study at a UK university?

    If you are not an EEA (European Economic Area) or Swiss national, you will need to check whether or not you need a visa to study at a university in the UK. The UK border agency has a website with all the information you need: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/student/

  • You already have a visa to study at LSI/IH Portsmouth. Will this be OK for university?

    You may need to extend or change your visa. Speak to the Head of Admissions at LSI/IH Portsmouth (located in the Reception area) for more information.

  • Which university do you want to apply to?

    Choosing a university can be difficult. You need to think about which course you want to do, which universities offer that course, what qualifications they require and where in the country you would like to study. If you need a tier 4 visa to study in the UK, you must also check that your chosen university is a highly trusted sponsor. The following are websites that can be very useful when trying to make these decisions:

    UNISTATS here you can search universities and their courses and see what the students think of them. They grade the teaching, facilities, city – everything.

    The Guardian This is a newspaper that ranks the UK universities every year. This is not a ranking of the courses, only the university, so it’s important to remember that some universities may be further down the rankings but actually be the best for a certain course.

  • How to apply

    • An undergraduate degree (bachelors)

      UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) deals with university applications in the UK

      For more information on the application process, please click here

    • A post-graduate degree (masters)

      Unlike an undergraduate degree, for most masters you have to apply directly to the university you have chosen. If you go to the university website, they will give you all the information that you need.

  • When to apply

    Depending on what course you want to study, the application deadline will be in the October, January or March before you want to start at the university. It’s VERY important that you submit your application before the deadline. If you submit your application after the deadline, you may not be considered for the course and the places may already be filled.

  • Useful websites

    The British Council has 2 very useful brochures for international students - one for undergraduate and pre-university study and one for post-graduate study. They give information on all steps of getting visas, choosing a university and applying.

    - Post-graduate study
    - Under-graduate and pre-university study

  • Portsmouth University

    If you’d like to study at Portsmouth University, as a student at LSI/IH Portsmouth you can join the Portsmouth students’ union through the school. This means that you can go to events and clubs with university students, so you can meet people and experience student life before you’ve started at university.
    For applications to the university, there is the International Office (Nuffield Centre, St Michael's Road, Portsmouth) which can give you help and advice.