What are our Methodology & Language courses for University staff?
This is a course for lecturers who are already teaching in English or will be soon. We provide guidance on teaching techniques, specifically designed for university lecturers and university students. This is a different approach to our methodology course aimed at secondary school teachers.
A course tailored for the person or group who study on it. You will improve your language skills for more effective communication in an academic environment. Many of the students who study on this course need English to interact with international staff and students at their university.
Why choose an LSI Portsmouth Methodology and Language course?
LSI Portsmouth offers Methodology and Language courses for University lecturers and admin staff from all over the world and has done since the 1990s. We have close links to the University of Portsmouth and specialist components can be integrated into the course structure when requested.
This course is offered on a closed group basis and can be customised to meet the needs of the group.
What happens on an LSI Portsmouth Methodology and Language course?
The best thing about our methodology and language course is flexibility. The course is tailored to meet the needs of the students, and furthermore, can be combined with General English and our 30+ course. This means that students have the option to practice their English with other international students.
- Understand and discuss current methodologies, theories, and practice within the context of an international environment.
- Develop the ability to understand different native and non-native accents, pronunciation, intonation and word stress.
- Increase the ability to plan and deliver lectures effectively and direct/control seminars with international students in English.
- Participate more effectively in professional situations including meetings, teleconferencing, small talk and networking, interviews, telephoning and report writing.
- Intercultural communication: background and key insights.
- Understanding different L1 and L2 accents and intonation patterns.
- Instructional language and terminology, lecture and lesson technique.
- Lecture delivery skills, fluency development, articulation, clarity, and pronunciation.
- Directing and controlling seminars in an international student context.
Who is the course for?
The course is suitable for non-native university lecturers who are delivering specialist courses in English to international students who are non-native or native speakers of English aged 18+. It is also suitable for non-native university lecturers and staff who are converting to teaching English and/or with a need to expand their knowledge, accuracy, and fluency in English.
|Required level:||Admin staff – A2 (CEFR)|
|University Lecturers staff – B2 (CEFR)|
|Course length:||Minimum 1 week|
|Maximum group size:||Closed groups of up to: 6, 8 or 10|
|Hours per week:||25 hours|
|How much does it cost?||To find out about our course prices, click here|
All closed group classes run on bank holidays
During your stay in Portsmouth, you may want to live with a local homestay family, in one of our self-catering residences, or choose to find your own accommodation. We will do everything we can to give you the best option to suit your needs and to help and support you with your living arrangements.
With this course you can choose activities from both the General English social programme and Executive English social programme. Both programmes are full, varied, and include weekly sporting events, dinner in restaurants and cultural and educational activities. Find out more!