We are looking for an enthusiastic, passionate, hard-working and committed Restaurant Manager to help us launch, staff, publicise and run successfully and profitably a brand new brasserie restaurant that is part of the LSI/IH Portsmouth building and is shortly to open in the heart of Portsmouth’s university quarter. If you applied for this post some months ago when it was first advertised and are still available and interested, please do apply again as the opening has been delayed!
This is a fantastic opportunity for a Restaurant Manager with energy and ambition who has the drive and passion for delivering great food, outstanding customer service and helping us host evening cultural and social events. Bring us the experience of managing people and driving business performance, together with a passion for great food and great service and a love of success and in return we’ll share a piece of our success with you.
As Manager, you will look to maximize the financial performance as well as the quality of food and service and to manage your team’s training and development. The Manager reports directly to the Principal of LSI/IH Portsmouth and to its owners, who will have specific events and services they will be running in the brasserie. You will need to be not just a manager of a team, but also a flexible team player who will work closely with LSI/IH Portsmouth’s Principal and other staff to ensure the vision for the restaurant, combined with its profitability, is achieved.
Your main responsibilities will include:
- Day-to-day management of the restaurant and team, particularly the Head Chef and waiting staff
- Providing excellent customer service
- Doing regular stock-takes and ordering as necessary
- Handling deliveries
- Maintaining the condition of beer and wine and food stocks
- Overseeing or liaising with the kitchen
- Keeping up to date with licensing legislation, liaising with LSI/IH Portsmouth’s Principal and relevant authorities and taking overall legal responsibility for the premises
- Enforcing health and safety rules
- Adhering to budgets, increasing profits and managing cash flow and finances
- Experience of managing or co-managing a restaurant, bar or café
- License to serve alcohol
- Excellent presentation and front-of-house skills and interpersonal excellence
- Excellent understanding of the catering industry and best practice within it
- Ability to work up to 6 days a week when required and the flexibility to work unsociable hours
- Complete working knowledge of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages
- Knowledge of administrative and IT systems and procedures for running a restaurant/café/bar
- Excellent team management skills, including leading by example and setting high standards
- Good working knowledge of Health and Safety and Food Safety
- Excellent communication, time management and organisational skills
- Flexible and enthusiastic approach to the role
- Passion for delivering exceptional customer service
- Ability to work under pressure with a smile on the face
- Previous experience of running or overseeing evening cultural and social events
- Network of known and trusted local suppliers of food and drink in Portsmouth
- Good contacts and a network of suppliers within the local community of Portsmouth
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity when dealing with international students
Starting salary – £24,000 plus generous Profit-Related Bonus.
Applicants should send a CV and covering email explaining why you are interested and suitable for the role to the Principal of LSI/IH Portsmouth, Andrew Edwards: Andrew@lsi-portsmouth.co.uk by Friday 27th April. Interviews will take place on May 2nd. The role will commence as soon as possible and the first task will be to recruit a Head Chef.