What are our English Courses for Overseas Teachers?
LSI/IH Portsmouth offers two types of English training courses for non-native Secondary School teachers: Methodology and Language and CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning). These courses are suitable for non-native secondary school teachers of learners aged 11-16+ and for those who are converting to teaching in English and for teachers who teach their subjects in English.
Both courses are available all year round on a closed group basis and open group basis during the summer. The programmes are designed to help teachers gain confidence and new skills to take back into the classroom.
The course objectives are for participants to be able to:
- Understand and discuss current methodologies within the context of their teaching.
- Increase their ability to plan, teach and assess learners’ progress.
- Refresh and develop own language and levels of fluency, accuracy and confidence.
- Improve instructional and language terminology.
The course content can include:
- Teaching the four language skills: listening, reading, writing and speaking.
- Creative activities for secondary school learners.
- Classroom management skills.
- Utilising drama, text, music and songs in the classroom.
- Teaching and developing thinking skills.
|Required level||A1+ / A2 (CEFR)|
|Course length:||Minimum 1 week|
|How much does it cost?||To find out about our course prices, click here|
Typical timetable for Methodology and Language for Secondary School Teachers
08.30 – 09.15: Optional self-access
09.15 – 10.30: Teaching pronunciation
10.30 – 10.45: Morning Coffee Break
10.45 – 12.00: Effective classroom management skills
12.00 – 13.15: Lunch/Optional supervised self-access
13.15 – 14.30: Warmers, coolers and energisers
14.45 – 16.00: Drilling and how to implement it
16.00 – 17.00: Optional supervised self-access
Course content can be customised to meet the needs of a particular group whenever possible
During your stay in Portsmouth, you may want to live with a local homestay family, in one of our self-catering residences, or choose to find your own accommodation. We will do everything we can to give you the best option to suit your needs and to help and support you with your living arrangements.
With this course you can choose activities from both the General English social programme and Executive English social programme. Both programmes are full and varied, and include weekly sporting events, dinner in restaurants and cultural and educational activities.