As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the demand for online learning has grown rapidly. With more people wanting to advance their education, come the common questions: ‘is it worth the effort?’ and ‘what will I get in return?’.
With online courses, there are a range of pros and cons to be aware of. By enrolling in an online English course, you can unlock your potential and help yourself stand out on a global scale.
In this blog, we’ll explain what else you can expect from undertaking an online English course.
The Pros of Online English Courses
As with everything, there are advantages and disadvantages to consider. Let’s dive into what the benefits of an online English course are:
When studying English online, there is a welcomed degree of flexibility which gives you the freedom to tailor your learning pattern. That’s right – you can study on your own terms – when and where it suits you. This could be in the comfort of your own home, a library, coffee shop – or wherever else you feel most productive!
As there’s no need to stick to rigid class schedules, worry about commuting, or obtaining study visas – you can immerse yourself in your studies straightaway without wasting any time.
Because of this flexibility, an online English course lets you continue working and earning an income while you study at your convenience. Plus, it makes a great opportunity to practice your English in person!
Another advantage of online learning is reduced financial costs. When you take up an online course, you instantly save money by not needing to budget for travel, meals, accommodation and other relevant expenses.
A big bonus is that all of the course or study materials are available online – thus creating a paperless learning environment which is more affordable, while also being beneficial to the environment.
Learning English online contributes to increasing your self-motivation, organisational and time-management skills – all of which are essential in both your professional and personal development.
By taking control of your own independent learning and setting your own study schedule, this provides added value to your skill set, helping you better manage and master your studies alongside other commitments. If you are able to demonstrate the ability to prioritise and balance tasks, this will boost your confidence as well as your career opportunities, as it is something any potential employer will look favourably upon.
Improves Technical Skills
By doing an online-only course, you will gradually become more familiar with new programmes and platforms, helping you build upon your technical skills. This is a huge perk to online learning – as it is a highly sought-after skill that you can automatically add to enhance your CV.
As part of your coursework, you will likely need to utilise digital learning materials, get used to new tools and software, and troubleshoot common issues. After you complete your course, you will likely have faced a few technical hurdles – both big and small – which an employer can therefore trust you to handle.
With more companies going down the virtual route, it’s important to learn how to collaborate remotely. Your classmates will likely live in different time zones, which you need to learn how to adapt to and schedule around.
Quality Online English Lessons at LSI / International House Portsmouth
All in all, our final verdict is that learning English online can bring many opportunities for both professional and personal progression. While we have already touched on some of the key benefits of doing an online English course, here’s exactly what LSI / International House Portsmouth can offer its students:
- The number one English language centre in the UK (according to the EL Gazette Centres of Excellence ranking)
- Highly qualified and experienced teachers – including published authors!
- Small group classes – 12 for General English and exam preparation/6 for Business and 30+
- Live, interactive classes with plenty of opportunity to improve your speaking
- Extensive and real-time feedback from teacher
- Multinational classes: learn and communicate with students from all over the world
- Teaching via Zoom platform plus on-hand IT support should you need it
- Online social programmes with other IH schools – all available for free!
- Weekly 1:1 tutorial with teacher so you can set goals and keep on track to meet them
- Free access to Sensations English – an online self-study tool using current news stories
- University preparation courses available online
- Hybrid classes that create a ‘real’ classroom learning experience for online students
There’s also a wide range of online English courses to choose from. Each are designed to suit different needs and industries, including:
- General English: designed to improve communication in everyday activities
- IELTS/Cambridge: an international standardised exam which tests the English language proficiency of non-native English language speakers
- Pre-sessional: preparation for university study in the UK
- OET: an English language test for medical professionals to give you the practical language skills needed in the workplace
- One-to-one: customised to individual learning needs, whether that be pronunciation, to pass a specific professional test or to improve your ability to do your job more effectively in English
- Business English: designed to improve communicative performance in a wide range of professional, business and commercial contexts